Wednesday 24 October 2012

Costume Influences

Game of Thrones
Game of Thrones is a very popular tv series about a fantasy medieval world, but also strongly resembles a lot of medieval Britain. The tv series recently won an Emmy for its costume design and so I thought this would be a good place to gain inspiration for my characters.

This character is Osha, she is a "Wilding" someone from beyond the Wall and extremely low on the social class ladder. Her clothing reflects this, as well as he "wildness" This is something I can use for my characters.

This is the character Robb Stark, his clothes represent a much higher status in society, so his costume is less useful for my project, however, the fur draped around his neck is something I could implement into my characters.

Daenerys Targaryen PictureDaenerys Targaryen Pic
This is Daenerys Targaryen, he character is set in a completely different place, a hot dessert, barren country. Her clothes reflect the change in climate as well as the more tribal lifestyle she leads (at this point). I love how the designers and creators have made her clothes look "lived in" and reflect the hardships of crossing the dessert. Small details like the ripped and torn leather,or weaving coming lose help tell a story and make the clothes look "home made". This is a look I want to re-create in my characters.
Again, these are similar to the images above, they look rough, lived in and home made.

This is the character Ygritte, who, as you can tell from her clothes, lives in a very cold climate. Although my characters aren't ploughin through snow, this could be useful again for ideas of how to use fur, and how it can keep them warm.

This is a short video showing michele clapton's costume designs and processes of Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment